Thursday, September 17, 2015

Personal Satement

I believe that every person has the ability to create their own purpose in their life. For me I feel like I have been mislead in a way, and have created my entire life, and therefore purpose around sports.  I feel this way because every second I spend outside of school is spent on a sports field, be it soccer or baseball.  I’ve come to realize that I’m being “falsely represented” in a way due to the need to please my parents, especially my father. My dad and I have always bonded over sports, and therefore it has played a major role in me life.  Sports are who I am currently today and will always be, as I fell in love with every game I’ve ever been lucky enough to play. However, the reason I feel misrepresented in a way is because the sports have never truly been for me. My sports are a more accurate representation of my dad’s wants than mine.
I feel every person should be doing things for themselves rather than anyone else (which I have not been). This doesn’t mean be selfish and never do anything to help another, but in the end you are the only one that is truly stuck with yourself. Therefore, why not do what makes you happy. I look forward to college because I see it as a way to express myself in ways I want, rather than what my parents want. I see it as an opportunity to really find my “purpose” and what really defines me as me. Coming form where we do, many of us are shielded for true self-exploration, because our parents push us into what is “normal”. I feel many kids our age, especially from areas such as Manhattan Beach, have a lot to find out about themselves. Including discovering ones own purpose.

Unlike many people I believe we are here for no particular reason, with no certainty or known ending. I believe once you die, you just cease to exist, the only thing left is your legacy, hence the purpose you created for yourself. I encourage everyone to look at their life and see if they are actually following their own purpose, or if they are following a path set by someone else, which has blinded them from what they truly are.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, I think a lot of people (I might even include myself a bit in this for some things I was put into as a kid that I didn't care much about) have parents with good intentions in this way but end up pushing their kids without listening sometimes. Thank you for your honesty here :) looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete