Sunday, November 8, 2015

existence precedes essence

As of now, I believe the turning point for Mersault was when he he said "I had knocked on the door of unhappiness". At this point I felt he realized that his actions have consequences and/or benefits. The old Mersault would have just gone with whatever happened next, never recognizing the consequences his actions had, however the new mersault sees that he has free will and the ability to shape his future. By seeing this, I believe Mersault will want to take matters more to heart, and provide essence to his existence by doing so.

2 comments:

  1. I did not think of this part as being an example, but you proved me wrong. I wrote on how Mersault shooting the arab was his point of adding essence to his existence. You took an extremely small part of the book that many people would have overlooked, and exploded to prove a point. This makes me wonder about how other parts of the book could add detail onto the topic of essence and existence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Declan, and we actually viewed the same belief on when Mersault found his essence, too. I enjoy that this quote stood out to you, because now that I look at it I see how much essence and depth this single quote gives to Mersault's life.

    ReplyDelete